Pan de Sal is a Filipino staple bread and we are very familar with this bread. Breakfast will be incomplete without pandesal when you are having a cup of coffee.
1 tablespoon shortening
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 & 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
5 cups sifted flour
1 cup boiling water
bread crumbs ( for coating )
How to make Pandesal
- Combine shortening, sugar, salt and boiling water in a large mixing bowl.
- Cool to lukewarm. Add warm water and sprinkle in dry yeast.
- Stir until well blended. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add flour gradually and turn out on a light floured board.
- Knead until smooth and brush with shortening.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size.
- Punch down and turn out on a lightly floured board.
- Divide dough into 24 equal parts and shape into ovals.
- Roll in bread crumbs. Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Cover, let rise in warm place.
- Bake at 425° F 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.