Baked Leche Flan
This baked leche flan is made from carabao’s milk. Carabao’s milk can be bought in the local wet market and sometimes it is not sold regularly. But you can buy it in big supermarket like in hypermart or shopwise. It is difficult to work with carabaos milk. Using too much heat will coagulate it and the result will be a mealy, gritty flan. Some sellers adulterate it with coconut milk so be sure it is pure. Cow’s milk is an acceptable substitute, but the consistency of the flan will be less rich.
1-1/2 cups white sugar
14 egg yolks
3 cups fresh carabao’s (or cow’s milk)
pinch of chopped lemon rind
How to make Baked Leche Flan
- Dissolve 1 cup white sugar over moderate heat to caramelize it.
- Pour evenly on bottom and sides of molder. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F. In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and whole egg.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, lemon rind and milk.
- Mix thoroughly but gently so as not to form air bubbles.
- Pour into prepared caramel-lined pan.
- Put the pan in a large, shallow baking pan containing water.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
Categories: Dessert Recipes