Kalabasa or Squash Cookies
2-1/2 cups enriched flour
1-1/2 cups firmly packed light Brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ginger (powdered)
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1/3 cup oil for shortening
1 cup chopped raisins
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup mashed cooked kalabasa (squash)
How to make Kalabasa (Squash) Cookies
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in kalabasa and orange extract.
- Add flour mixture all at once, stirring until well-blended Reserve 2 tablespoons nuts and 2 tablespoons raisins.
- Stir remaining nuts and raisins into batter.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the cookies with reserved nuts, l/3 with reserved raisins and the remaining plain.
- Bake at 400 °F for from 12 to 15 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Yield: 10 servings.
COOKING AND HEALTH TIPS: Eat Dark Green and Orange Veggies! – Beta-carotene, a form of Vitamin A found in dark green and orange vegetables, is a good antidote for lung cancer.