Maja Blanca Recipe
Maja blanca is a sweet Filipino dessert made from coconut milk, coconut meat, corn and dairy milk. This is usually served on special occasions like fiestas or during the holidays specially Christmas. Unknown to many the original maja blanca does not have corn or milk but as many variations of maja blanca emerge this recipe that includes corn kernels and milk became accepted so it has a yellowish color unlike the original which is why it is called maja blanca or “white dessert”.
4 cups thin coconut milk
2 cups buko juice
1 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup water
1 & 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup water
1 can cream style corn
shredded buko meat from 2 coconuts
1 cup thick coconut milk ( for latik )
How to cook maja:
- In a large casserole put all Maja Blanca ingredients. Simmer over low fire for about 15 minutes.
- Pour into serving dishes and cool.
- Heat the thick coconut milk over medium heat.
- When it starts to boil lower the heat and cook for about 25 minutes stirring constantly.
- Strain excess oil. Sprinkle over cooled Maja Blanca. Makes 12 portions
Note: To make the maja more flavorful, the addition of milk powder was implemented. Believe me this is tastier than the ordinary maja blanca I’ve tried.