Puto Bumbong Recipe
The lansungan or a specially made steamer is constructed with two protruding tubes on a kettle like shaped steamer. The tubes are for holding the bamboo tubes filled with the puto bumbong mixture in order for the steam to pass through.
1 kilogram malagkit (glutinous) rice, mixed with
125 grams ordinary rice
1 pc mature coconut, shredded
butter or margarine
violet food coloring
water for steaming the puto bumbong and soaking the rice
How to cook puto bumbong:
- Soak malagkit and ordinary rice mixture in salted water with violet food coloring for 1 hour.
- Let dry overnight by putting inside a flour sack.
- Put something heavy on top to squeeze out water.
- Mixture is ready for cooking the following morning.
- Heat steamer (lansungan) with enough water.
- Put a small amount of rice mixture inside bamboo tubes (bumbong).
- Attached bamboo tubes to lansungan or steamer.
- When steam comes out of bamboo tubes, remove and immediately push out puto bumbong.
- Top with coconut shred and sugar before serving.