1 kilo malagkit rice
2 tsp rock salt
2 tbsp lihia
banana leaves, cut into 6-8 inches diameter strips
5 pcs coconut, shredded
1-2 pcs sangkaka or 1 kilo brown sugar
How to make Suman Sa Lihia
- Mix malagkit rice, lihia and rock salt together.
- Wrap them in banana leaves into shape of squarish suman very carefully.
- Bundle them in pairs and arrange in caldero casserole-steamer.
- Put water about level of suman and cook over low fire.
- Extract milk from shredded coconut. Strain.
- Set aside shredded coconut meat for topping.
- Cook coconut milk with sangkaka or brown sugar until mixture becomes thick.
- Toast shredded coconut meat in pan until almost dry.
- Add brown sugar and continue toasting until done.
- Serve suman with fine white sugar or sauce.
- Top with toasted coconut.