2 packs frozen ube
1 box mochiko (sweet rice flour)
4 cups white sugar
2 cans coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla
latik (cook coconut milk slowly until all oil is extracted and latik is formed)
How to make ube kalamay
- Thaw frozen ube. Make latik. Wilt each banana leaf then brush with coconut oil.
- In large wok, mix thawed ube with coconut milk, mochiko, sugar, vanilla and a little coconut oil.
- Stir while cooking. (Put more coconut oil by tablespoonfuls if needed to prevent sticking.)
- Keep stirring until mixture is very thick. Put in pan lined with wilted banana leaves.
- Flatten batter by hand using a piece of oiled banana leaf.
- If you don’t feel like stirring for a long time, you may put slightly thickened mixture in baking pan and bake in 350°F oven 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool and score prepared ube in diagonal shapes and put latik on top.